Bears in the Hills
Make a fun felt wall hanging or pillow cover with these adorable bears peeking out of the hills. It's all easy hand stitching - no machine needed.
You can make your finished piece into a wall hanging or a pillow cover - or just about anything else you can think of!
The sample project makes a 12 inch image - but you can easily resize it, either by making your scallops bigger or smaller, or by adding or subtracting scallops.
I'll take you through every step of the process with video tutorials - from cutting out the felt pieces to arranging them on your background and doing all the fancy stitching.
We're going to have so much fun!
You don't just get the pattern with this purchase - you get access to a full online class with LOTS of videos.
The lessons are available any time day or night - and they never expire so you can watch them again and again.
You Get. . .
- PDF file with full-size pattern pieces for the Bears in the Hills project.
- SVG file with the same pattern pieces designed for Cricut, Silhouette, or other cutting machines. (There's a video included showing how to use these files for a Cricut machine.)
- Complete instructions and video lessons showing every step of the project - from cutting out the pieces and layering them in place, to all the decorative stitches used to embellish the hills.
- Links to tutorials showing how to use your finished piece to make a pillow cover, framed art, or wall hanging.
It's a skill stretcher - but that doesn't mean it's actually HARD. It's just a big project, and doing these kinds of decorative stitching without any marking is probably new to you.
It looks complicated, but I'm a big believer in using the simplest of simple stitches. This whole project uses just simple whipstitch applique and the four most basic embroidery stitches. That's it!
No sewing machine needed - this is the perfect hand-work project for some happy sofa time. :-)
Join the class now. I can't wait to see what you make!
What You Need+-
You don't need many supplies for this project - fabric, felt, needle and thread.
Here's a more specific list. . .
- 24 inch square piece of fabric - this is just the base and won't show. Use something from your stash you want to get rid of.
- wool felt - scraps are fine, or get a bunch of shades of green and brown. If you want to use the same felt I used, there's a limited supply of materials kits available here.
- embroidery thread - I'm using a range of greens, plus black for the eyes and mouths. You can use #5 perle cotton or regular 6-stranded DMC floss. You can get a bundle here.
- freezer paper - highly recommended if you're cutting the pieces by hand. This is what I use.
- fabric glue stick - highly recommended for sticking the applique pieces in place in preparation for hand sewing. This is the brand I like.
- embroidery needles in sizes #1-5 - I like the #1s for the perle cotton. That's the biggest needle in this set.
- 17 inch Q-snap frame - my favorite quilting frame for hand work
More work than I expected but we’ll worth it.
I love these bears. What a great idea. So effective.
Saving this for summer vacation! Sure it will be great
Bears in the Hills