Chirp - a Bird Quilt Pattern Workshop
What you get+-
It's a beautifully colorful flock of cheerful birds!
There are thirteen bird appliqué patterns which you can make into a crib, nap, or twin-sized quilt. You can also use the appliqué patterns on their own to embellish T-shirts, make tote bags, pillows and more. You can even shrink them down to use as embroidery patterns.
You Get. . .
- A digital pattern delivered by email. (If you're not sure what a PDF pattern is, you'll find more info here.)
- Thirteen cute bird appliqué patterns – full size so there’s no enlarging needed
- Reversed and exploded appliqué patterns to print directly onto freezer paper or fusible adhesive. No tracing! Every piece is labeled so it’s easy to assemble after you’ve cut it all apart.
- Detailed instructions and lots of step by step photos – you’ll never feel lost or wonder if you’re doing it right.
- Detailed cutting instructions for crib, nap and twin sized quilts.
- Instructions for assembling the quilt – layering, basting, quilting and binding – with links to videos for all of them - including links to Quilt As You Go videos.
- Links to videos teaching you all the skills you’ll need to complete the project. It’s a workshop disguised as a pattern!
The main blocks finishes at 10" square. The pattern includes detailed instructions for the following sizes. . .
- crib (50" square)
- napping (50" x 60") - this is my favorite size for on the couch
- twin (70" x 90")
I designed this quilt to teach appliqué – so it’s great for beginners, and a fun and relaxing project for more experienced stitchers. If you can use your sewing machine, you have the skills you need to make this colorful and cuddly bird quilt.
I used appliqué with fusible adhesive and Quilt As You Go to make a super easy quilt - almost all done on the machine. The pattern also includes links to videos teaching needle turn appliqué and machine appliqué with freezer paper, in case you prefer those methods.
What You Need+-
You'll need. . .
Want easy peasy fabric shopping?
Buy this fabric bundle for the background blocks and this one for the birds.
Crib Size (50" square)
- 2 1/8 yards of a variety of background fabrics
- assorted prints in bird colors (get at least 4 fat quarters, but you’ll probably want more for variety)
- 2 1/2 yards fabric for the quilt back (or 1 1/2 yards Cuddle Fleece)
- 1/2 yard binding fabric
Napping Size (50" x 60")
- 2 1/2 yards of a variety of background fabrics
- assorted prints in bird colors (get at least 8 fat quarters, but you’ll probably want more for variety)
- 4 yards fabric for the quilt back (or 2 yards Cuddle Fleece)
- 1/2 yard binding fabric
Twin Size (70" x 90")
- 4 5/8 yards of a variety of background fabrics
- assorted prints in bird colors (get at least 16 fat quarters, but you’ll probably want more for variety)
- 5 yards fabric for the quilt back (or 4 yards Cuddle Fleece)
- 5/8 yard binding fabric
- batting (I love Warm & Natural 100% cotton batting)
- fusible adhesive (if using my favorite appliqué with fusible adhesive technique) - I recommend Lite for quilts and Featherlite for clothing
You might also want. . .
- freezer paper (if you choose the machine appliqué with freezer paper technique) – either a roll from the grocery store, or this printable freezer paper
I have not actually sewed anything yet from the patterns, but looks terrific!
Still working on it but love the birds.
I am very anxious to sew again, two weeks ago I had an accident, dislocated and fractured my right shoulder, hence no sewing.
This was my first appliqué quilt and I am HOOKED! This one is being delivered today to my mom for her 101st birthday and I’m already ordering more fabric to make one for myself.
Loved this pattern. Started on it right away and having a great time choosing colors. It's going to be my favorite.