Sea Creatures Quilt Pattern| Add a Review
What You'll Get
Make a cuddly quilt full of colorful sea creatures swimming through dreamy blue waters.
I designed these sea creatures as a companion to the Fish Quilt. The base blocks are the same size, you you can mix and match to fill a quilt with colorful ocean creatures!
YOU'LL GET. . .
- A digital pattern delivered by email. (If you're not sure what a PDF pattern is, you'll find more info here.)
- Patterns for eleven different sea creatures, plus 3 different seaweed patterns.
- Full sized applique patterns so there’s no enlarging needed
- Reversed and exploded appliqué patterns to print directly onto fusible adhesive. No tracing!
- Detailed instructions and lots of step by step photos – you’ll never feel lost or wonder if you’re doing it right.
- Detailed cutting instructions for crib, nap and twin sized quilts.
- Instructions for assembling the quilt – layering, basting, quilting and binding – with links to videos for all of them - including links to Quilt As You Go videos.
- Links to videos teaching you all the skills you’ll need to complete the project. It’s a workshop disguised as a pattern!
The blocks will finish at 10" square. The pattern includes detailed instructions for the following sizes. . .
- crib (50" square)
- napping (50" x 60") - this is my favorite size for on the couch
- twin (70" x 90")
Easy! It’s great for beginners, and a fun and relaxing project for more experienced stitchers. If you can use your sewing machine, you have the skills you need to make this fun fish quilt.
I used appliqué with fusible adhesive and Quilt As You Go to make a super easy quilt - almost all done on the machine. The pattern also includes links to videos teaching needle turn appliqué and machine appliqué with freezer paper, in case you prefer those methods.
What You Need
I used fabric from three different bundles for this quilt.
- The background blocks are Blue Batiks.
- My sea creatures are made with Rainbow Brights fat quarter bundles. Dots and Little Stripes would also look terrific.
- The backing is navy blue cuddle fleece.
YOU'LL NEED. . .
Crib Size (50" square)
- 3 yards total of blue background fabrics
- assorted prints in sea creature colors (get at least 6 fat quarters, but you’ll probably want more for variety)
- 2 1/2 yards for backing (or 1 1/2 yards Cuddle Fleece)
- 1/2 yard for binding
Napping Size (50" x 60")
- 3 1/3 yards total of blue background fabrics
- assorted prints in sea creature colors (get at least 8 fat quarters, but you’ll probably want more for variety)
- 4 yards for backing (or 2 yards Cuddle Fleece)
- 1/2 yard for binding
Twin Size (70" x 90")
- 7 yards total of blue background fabrics
- assorted prints in sea creature colors (get at least 16 fat quarters, but you’ll probably want more for variety)
- 5 yards for backing (or 4 yards Cuddle Fleece)
- 5/8 yard for binding
- batting (I love Warm & Natural 100% cotton batting)
- fusible adhesive (if using my favorite appliqué with fusible adhesive technique) - I recommend Lite for quilts and Featherlite for clothing
- rickrack for jellyfish tentacles
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT. . .
- freezer paper (if you choose the machine appliqué with freezer paper technique) – either a roll from the grocery store, or this printable freezer paper